Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Privatization

4 posters

Go down

Water Privatization Empty Water Privatization

Post  Taylor Cameron Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I believe that if we were to privatize water we would suffer greatly. We would suffer because the companies would be able to raise the price of water and we would have no choice but to agree, this would cause problems for people with a low income and for countries with very little water. Considering that the companies would have a large percentage of control over the water, they would probably not worry about the quality of our water as much as is done today. Although, the current quality of water is not great due to the treatment process and chemicals added, it has the likelihood to become less strictly monitored and more just for the profitability. Water is a natural resource and therefore belongs to everyone on our earth equally. Privatization of water is completely non-humanitarian. Although there is a large chance of it happening in the future, I think it would benefit everyone if it we try to prevent it.

Taylor Cameron

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam Renshaw Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:41 pm

I disagree with your view on water privatization. Yes, the companies will indeed raise the price of water, but not to the point where it's impossible for people to afford it. The companies raise the price of water so they can make a profit. If we were to just give away our water, our economy would really suffer the consequences. Putting a small price on water is mandatory to prevent our country from losing money by giving away one of our most precious and valuable resources.

The companies also do monitor the quality of water, if the water was not cleaner than the water that people could get from the local lakes for free, people wouldn't buy the water from the companies. If the water was not in control of the companies, people from poorer countries would be forced to drink the filthy and dangerous lake water, as demonstrated in the video FLOW. With water privatization, people are able to have clean, safe, drinkable and very accessible water for a small price.

Just think for a moment if our companies weren't there to treat the water; a lot more people would be suffering because of the diseases that they would catch from drinking the dirty water, not to mention that people would have to walk a much longer distance to get water from the lakes because there would be no well installed by the companies.
Adam Renshaw
Adam Renshaw

Back to top Go down

Water Privatization Empty Reply to Taylor.

Post  Clare Passmore Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 pm

I agree with a lot of the points you made Taylor. With water privatization a lot of people can not afford it. Its expensive and when they are not given a proper education they can not get a proper job to pay for the water. It is not fair for the poor in so many different ways. Not even just the poor , we all pay for hydro , gas, food etc. The last thing the economy needs is to pay MORE money for fresh water. We need fresh water to survive . I do believe we need to limit fresh water use , but in a different way other then water privatization.If we all use water like its nothing - like the way we are now , then we will be left with nothing. The economy needs to come together and find a different way to not use so much water , But use it enough to the point where everyone gets enough to survive and not be dehydrated. We can't continue to let countries drink unclean water. They continue to drink it because they don't have the money to pay for fresh water. They'd rather drink water that is contaminated then not drink water at all. That shows that our economy needs help as soon as possible. Water privatization only makes it harder on plenty of people. Put your self in the shoes that can not afford water. How would you feel about not having money and having to pay for fresh water to survive? .

Clare Passmore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Donnelly (; Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 pm

I disagree we would not suffer because the amount of money that the companies would make is very beneficial for our economy. I do agree with the fact that the companies will make a alot of people poor which is not right. Someone has to give people clean water and the money crazed ended up being the guys to do it. water companies are all about money and they would never break the cleaning laws because it would mean a lawsuit. they are monsters becuase they destory forests and kill animals to build dams which in my mind is horrible. Why would people want to let millions of people die because they can't pay for water but in the end are economy is great which means we can benefit our live with that money. The question is do we have the right to take the quality of there life to improve are own?
Sean Donnelly (;
Sean Donnelly (;

Back to top Go down

Water Privatization Empty Re: Water Privatization

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down