Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about the money

+12
Bobby F
Hassan Karout
Alanna McColl
leeahmehta
RebeccaHall
Victoria Barrett
Rykker Mcleod
MoyraM
Jake
Kailina Hennink
sadievilleneuve
Jordyn Lamba
16 posters

Go down

All about the money Empty All about the money

Post  Jordyn Lamba Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Since the beginning of time we have always had water, we use it daily without thinking about where it comes from, or how much we are using, and more importantly we never think of those who don’t have access to water. So what makes you think that the people who want to privatize water are thinking about us at all? When companies like nestle and coca cola build dams, they aren’t thinking about the people who get water from that area, they don’t care that if they put chemicals in the stream water animals or humans will die, all they care about is the money they make and once they are done with that dam they will move to another and then another, because they know that water is now becoming a privilege, a privilege that we have never given a second thought about. So what will happen to us when that privilege is taken away? When we are the ones without water? When we will have to go to extremes just so we can get some sort of water into our systems? That is what our fate is going to be if companies keep exploiting the water we have. We have always thought about water as unlimited, but what if it isn’t? What will happen to us if we suddenly run out or have a limited amount? This is something we need to think about because all the companies are thinking about is the money they are making.

Jordyn Lamba

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty sadie; re: all about the money

Post  sadievilleneuve Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:29 pm

I agree with you hundred percent Jordyn. With the privatization of water companies fail to see the bigger picture. Something as simple as water will disturb our whole way of functioning on earth today. As you mentioned with the dams. Building a simple dam that will give useful energy for towns and cities to use and also millions to the companies. But at what cost? With the construction of these dams, they disturb the fish’s migration. This may not seem like a big deal. However it causes a change in the food chain. Which ultimately affects us. I would also like to address your question about what extremes will we need to go to out water into our systems. If the water that is left is contaminated. We will have to add many chemicals perhaps to make it clean. These chemicals then will get into our bodies and hurt us even more. Chemicals can be the cause for many cancers. Do the water privatization know about this? If they do, how come they still push for it? Is there a point in being rich if we are still unable to have clean drinking water at the end of it all? I think not. Its better to save what we do have while we still can, apposed to struggling trying to get a simple right. Just a thought.

sadievilleneuve

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty reply to jordyn

Post  Kailina Hennink Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 pm

i agree that companies want to make profit but when you think about it maybe there not actually. by the time they install there systems and pay for all their equipment, maybe they are just gaining the money back by selling their bottled water. they also could mean no harm to the enviornment , and dont realize the harm they are actually doing. they are polluting and killing many animals and humans, but you are right in a way they do care about profit, and they are not thinking about the negative things they are doing while they are creating their water businesses. if they do realize they are doing major harm to the enviornment and others around them, then they are at fault and know what they are doing is not very sanitary/healthy. in my opinion and you and others probably agree, that they should not be selling water because of all the negative affects. i feel there are no positive affects on this act . as i said before maybe no profit is really being made because they loose money by creating the buisness and then gain all the money back by selling water. another thing is that we have not many options left to saving our water. the government and water companies are jumping to conclusion by selling water. i dont think its the only option, but for now selling is not fair concidaring that many people cannot afford this neccesary thing. -kailina hennink

Kailina Hennink

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty You gotta know when to hold 'em

Post  Jake Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Money, enough said. All people care about is money, and you are right. But if they use their money to clean the water, are they still bad people? Sure, a little poising is getting in the water, but you and I are still alive, so I don’t see much of a problem. I know there are bad things in the water, things that will remain nameless, but we can’t be sure if they were just trying to clean it.

Does soap not have chemicals in it? And do we not use soap to clean ourselves every day? A little bit of chemicals never hurt anyone. But when they start dumping chemicals in the water, then it’s a problem.

“A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
William Shakespeare

Water will always be on this planet, but it won’t always be clean. As Kenny Rogers says “You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run” I believe this means we need to know when to keep our water and when to throw it away, when to export our water and when to export vast amounts of water.
Jake
Jake

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Re: Jake's "You gotta know when to hold 'em"

Post  MoyraM Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Jake states that there is a little bit of chemicals in everything from the water we drink to the soap we use to clean our bodies. "A little bit of chemicals never hurt anyone." I agree with this point. This day in age there is no way to avoid chemicals; it is in everything we eat, either to enhance it or preserve it. While reading this you may think; too much of it is what harms us. And that is true, but in reality, too much of anything can harm us.
"...they use their money to clean the water..." I do not believe this is the case. If it was, then the companies would not be charging such a high price for the clean product. So in this aspect, I believe that yes, its all about the money. In a way, however, it would be easy for them to find somewhere else to clean and bottle and sell water. Then those in need of water would not have access to it; expensive or not.

MoyraM

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Re: All about the money

Post  Rykker Mcleod Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm

i agree with jake and here is why.
when you really think about it we have been living on this earth for hundreds of thousands of years with no problems.
but now that we have a more functional society and live in close quarters with other people we need to start thinking about how we can improve our day to day lives through money and the act of acquiring there of.
if we continue to dwell on the past and try to live in our trees and our lakes we will end up no better then the native americans when europeans arrived in the new world.
this is the eye of the needle and we must pass through it, if we don't do anything to improve our economy now we may never get another chance throughout wars and famine in later years.
Rykker Mcleod
Rykker Mcleod

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty What Water Privatization Could do..

Post  Victoria Barrett Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Jordyn, I agree with you in some ways but in others I have to disagree. For instance, your take on water privatization. I completely agree with you when you say that people have lost sight of the people and only focus on the money that they are making. This will be the crisis, not the lack of water. However, imagine if they did think about the people, wouldn’t water privatization be a great solution? I believe so. If they implemented laws and had severe enough consequences for the law breakers, how could it not be? People would have the needed water, the companies would probably eventually begin to develop water filtration systems and everyone would be happy. However, I disagree with you when you say that water is now becoming a privilege, we live among the greatest and hopefully with the privatization of water and the development of solutions, we will not have to think about giving water a second-thought.

Victoria Barrett

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty RE: All About The Money.

Post  RebeccaHall Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:27 pm

I completely agree with Jordyn! These people are more concerned about the amount of profit in the bank, then the people their hurting making that profit! What will it take to open the eyes of the greeding business men taking over something that is neather theirs or anyone elses for that matter. Nobody has ownership over something as common and natural as water! Profitizing water is deffinatly not the answer to any number of questions asked when water conservation is brought up, we are not only trying to conserve water, we are trying to clean it, (make it drinkiable), and we are trying to make water an equal right to all! Going back to Jordyn's mention of dams. That is another drastic measure our government has taken for our electricity, yet again impacting our water in a negative way. Everything we do to our water, we may not think we our doing that much damage, your only one person right? how many other poeple use this acuse for their own water contamination?

Besides that, these water prfotizers are not helping our water crisis! WE may have the privalige of clean water, but many don't! what will happen to these people do? they stuggle enough with the way they live, this is all they need. Water is a basic important nasasity! we can't make someone wih no money, and no way to make money pay for something they need to live! Anyone with any shread of humanity or simpathy knows this isn't right. i don't know something can sleep at night knowing they killed people for a quick buck. more then anything, im concerned about these peoples lives and well being. their children and there families.Ever seen those cemercials on the t.v about the sarving children? think they aren't thirsty as well? do you really think the water they drink everyday is healthy? if our water isn't healthy can you imagine what they're drinking. I just wish they would unserstand!

RebeccaHall

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty reply to Jordyn .

Post  leeahmehta Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 am

Jordyn, i agree with you on water privatization.
These Companies are more concerned on how much money they are getting then how the Dams are affecting us. As well, i disagree when you say that to have water it is now a privilege. I think this because water is a natural resource,it's been on this planet longer then we can remember. Companies as you said Coca cola and others shouldn't be aloud to take that away from us, And when they do they contaminate water with chemicals.
As Jake says " A little bit of chemicals never hurt anyone. " Well thats true, But you aren't only consuming a little bit of chemicals. Chemicals are in everything, and yes its true that a small amount wont hurt you but what if everyday you drank you drank a average of 8 glasses of water, and each glass was contaminated with chemicals, imagine how those chemicals will affect your body/organs?

leeahmehta

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Re: 'All About The Money' Alanna McColl

Post  Alanna McColl Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Jordyn has a very understanding point towards how people use water without thinking. It is such a natural resource to us, that know one realizes the amount of water descending. It is estimated that one third of the worlds drinking water is lost every year. Is this water from too many water bottles being sold or just us humans needing so much water that the earth can't keep up? If the reason is because of too many water bottles, then why not just stop buying water bottles. As many of you must be thinking. Though it is not that simple. Certain people rely on water bottles because perhaps they are afraid of the fact of drinking from a tap that could possibly be dirty, or just because they don't see the problem.. There are consequences of drinking water out of water bottles. The plastic to hold the water pollutes the earth. It takes approximately 450-1000 years for plastic water bottles to biodegrade. What is your thought of water lose? Water bottles or just our human bodies needs?
rendeer
Alanna McColl
Alanna McColl

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty All about the money

Post  Hassan Karout Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 am

Its all about the money. Water will always be on this planet, but it won’t always be clean. Does soap not have chemicals in it? And do we not use soap to clean ourselves every day? Everyone cares about money, But if they use their money to clean the water, are they bad people? we have water in our daily lives. we have had water since the beginning. We may have the privlge of clean water, but certainly, not a lot of people do. what will happen to these people do? Its all about the money.

Hassan Karout

Back to top Go down

Post  Hassan Karout Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:57 am

[/quote]"Hassan"] your right Jake, it is all about the money.when you really think about it, we have been living on this earth for hundreds of thousands of years with no problems. water has never been a problem. there is a little bit of chemicals in everything from the water we drink to the soap we use to clean our bodies. Without water, we cannot live. When companies build dams, they aren’t thinking about the people who get water from that area, they don’t care that if they put chemicals in the stream water, animals or humans will die and all the companies care about is the money that they are making. These Companies are more concerned on how much money they are getting then how the Dams are affecting us.

Hassan Karout

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty reply to jordyn.

Post  Bobby F Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 pm

I completely agree with you jordyn. About the water privatization, they do not care if the dams they build or the chemicals that contaminate the water affect us. They only care about the money. They don’t stop to think about how it is affecting people or other life; they only care about the money. I agree with you when you say that water is a privilege and is over used and can be taken away. We don’t think about how much water we drink every day. Over 60’000’000 bottles of water are filled and disposed of everyday. It takes over 300 years for the bottle to biodegrade. You can only imagine how much an environmental impact this has on the earth.
Leah says: ‘’ i disagree when you say that to have water it is now a privilege. I think this because water is a natural resource, it’s been on this planet longer then we can remember’’. I disagree with that. Water is referred to as a privilege because we take it for granted but what happens when that is taken away. Our privilege is lost.
Smile

Bobby F

Back to top Go down

Post  sheldonstinson Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:32 pm

In certain aspects, I do agree with you Jordyn. Companies exploit their products in such a way that it is clear to see they are simply in it for the money. Due to the fact that we as human beings still aid and purchase their products, it gives the companies another reason to keep building dam after dam, while destructing human nature. By the building of these dams, it destroys many things in connection with animals and us human beings. The chemicals put into these dams to create clean water effects us as human beings as well as the animals living in the water. This being said, I agree with you when you say that it is strictly all about the profit. Although, I don’t agree with you when stating that water is becoming a privilege. Water to us, is a necessity because it is something that we cannot live without. When the companies that you stated above, create dams and destruct nature, it is up to us to prevent them from continuing to create more dams by simply using the water out of our taps.

sheldonstinson

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Reply to Jordyn

Post  Hejir Bossmoderamiwand Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Jake's view is correct on chemicals. As long as we live in the twenty first century there wont be a single product of any sort without any type of chemical, in anything now a days is full of chemicals. From agriculture to clothing, you can’t find thing without a single chemical. Like Jake said a few chemicals here and there won’t hurt us but if they start putting excessive amounts of chemicals then we should be really concerned. If there is enough money produced there is a possibility to clean to our waters. For example, there are many companies out in this world that sell water purifiers, some being small ones that hook up to your tap and some being a whole separate machine. If enough money is being made, there won’t be a problem in buying water purifiers for local residents or even building solar purifiers like how they have in India. There’s many ways to purify water, some cheap and some expensive but either way the money they are making from selling water can be helpful to us as well.

Last edited by Hejir Bossmoderamiwand on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hejir Bossmoderamiwand

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Reply to Jordyn - The Unfortunate Reality

Post  Matthew Anderson Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:46 pm

Unfortunately, I must agree with Jordyn.

The unfortunate reality is that it is all about the money. When the demand for fresh water increases, businesses will want to sell more and more water and make bigger profits from it. Though fresh water is a natural resource and was once expected to stay on the earth forever, we are beginning to see problems maintaining it, we are now selling it only to make money. It is said that by the year 2030, two-thirds of the world will be lacking access to clean drinking water. This could lead to water wars, water squandering, famine, death. Private companies are buying access to large fresh water lakes in the north to "cash" in on this demand. We as a population are beginning to see water as possibly becoming the next empire, so to speak.

In the U.S., the company Nestle is taking water from the town's water supply, bottling it, without notifying anyone of what they were doing, and selling it to make great profits. And worse, they were lowering the access to the water supply for the town's people. We are losing control of who actually owns the water and has access to it.

Matthew Anderson

Back to top Go down

All about the money Empty Chase RE: All about the money

Post  Chase Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Every thing that you mentioned your paragraph is true and I cant help but agree with you. All of those big brand companies are taking over every place the can to build dams and are destroying housing place and small communities which leads to a lot of complications. Also These big companies promise that they will give back to the people what the took which is the house and it is a fact that numerous times these companies failed to follow through with these commitments. These dams have also polluted the environment around them including fish there predators and also the vegetation. These dams have caused nothing but trouble for what? For money? It is not a very good trade off in my books we need a clean world we don’t need bottled water. We have tap water what is the difference? There is not difference and if there is rarely anyone can’t taste the difference

Chase

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down