Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ?

+2
Vanessa Coelho
Alanna McColl
6 posters

Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ?

Post  Alanna McColl Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:08 am

When you think about water do you think about lakes, oceans, showers? What would happen if it was almost all gone? Would the countries with the most water be attacked by the countries that are less fortunate? In my opinion, yes, the third world war would occur. Nestle, Coca Cola and many other industries are taking away the privilege of over a million human beings' lives. "The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns." This is a disappointment because of the amount of people that have sacrificed there lives for there country, and there are more people that have died because of a water issue. People are paying attention to what Britney Spears drank that night and how Lady Gaga wore a crazy outfit. Though no one seems to realize how many lives have been lost due to water. 3.575 people die every year because of water related diseases. This shows how there are so many people in the world using either too much water when not needed, or were just running out of water itself. Will people start to care when they see the water disappearing, or will they start now?
geek
Alanna McColl
Alanna McColl

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Re: When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ?

Post  Vanessa Coelho Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

I think you are very right when you talk about how our priorities are distorted: Gossip columns over a newspaper ect, but I do not think this means we do not care about the environment and what is going on around the world. I think the majority of people do not have the proper education on such an complicated topic and therefor can not come up with a thorough opinion. We have become to ignorant- not necessarily because we do not care but simply because it has not been taught to everyone. I think it is up to our generation to become educated and try to reduce our daily water use. So things like this water L.E.S are crucial to our development and the choices we make for the future because though we have been told many time and never give it too much thought - we are the future. It is up to us to either halt the damage being done to our earth or to continue until we can no longer fix the damage done. I am sure you know which choice will benefit us most in the end..

Vanessa Coelho

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Reply to Vanessa

Post  Jordyn Lamba Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 pm

I completely agree with Vanessa about the fact that we are raised to be ignorant. In all honesty here i think everyone leaves the water on when they brush their teeth , and growing up we aren't really ever told that doing something like that is a big deal, but it honestly is. We waste water as much as we use it. This inst fair to people in porer countries who strive everyday to get maybe one cup of clean water and this may be all they get that week. The mass companies don't see that. Maybe putting a price on water will help us learn to appreciate it , but that's not the true intention of the companies they just want a profit, and they will do anything to get it. I find it pretty disturbing that they want to make people who only make close to $1 a month. pay for something as simple as water.

Jordyn Lamba

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Alanna:In todays day and age,we need money!

Post  Mr.Kunarac Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:25 am

The first few sentences of your post really struck me. "When you think about water do you think about lakes, oceans, showers? What would happen if it was almost all gone?"
To clear something, it will not be "almost all gone", water will be gone! This'll happen if we continue to give out free water to these third world countries. This is why I agree with your post. People don't know it yet, but water running out is clearly in the mere future of I don't know 10 to 20 years if this rate of wasting continues! This is why conserving water is needed to an extreme. Yes, if we all maybe turned the taps off when brushing teeth or only spent 5 minutes in the shower would help somewhat. But, if we privatize water then people need to pay, and waters value will increase helping the economy. When the economy is secure then we can continue on moving forward as a society.
Wink

Mr.Kunarac

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Replay to Alex

Post  Sean Donnelly (; Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:23 pm

So your say you would let millions of people die because you wish to sell them water they can't pay for? how can we move forward if the people in our world are self centerd and only think about money. What if your family die cause of dirty water and you were just to greedy to give them clean water cause they couldn't pay? you would be a murdurer just like the water companies who just sit there letting so many die. Yes i get it we need money because we have based our lives on it but do we really need to kill each other to get? Alex im not saying to give it for free im just saying sell it for a smaller price to poor countries and sell it for a higher price to the more wealthy countires so that way the poor countries can start to build there economy.
Sean Donnelly (;
Sean Donnelly (;

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Re: When do you think you'll start to care?

Post  sheldonstinson Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:09 pm

I agree in terms with what you’re saying Alanna; however, I don’t think it has to do with us not caring. If we didn’t care about our environment and resources that we are lucky enough to have so much of, we wouldn’t have been so eager to fight against global warming. This being said, I think that it isn’t the fact that we don’t care about water related illnesses and/or water in general. It’s simply more to do with the fact that we are so used to having this commodity around us and in our system that we don’t see it as ever running out. Water to us is a given, we believe as human beings living in one of the largest countries known for natural resources that water will always be there to support us. For us to realise the amount of deaths caused by water is something that should already cause us to be more careful in which forcing companies to not dump tons of chemicals into the water that goes into our system. This is something that as a whole, we need to realise and isn’t something minimal worth letting slide by.

sheldonstinson

Back to top Go down

When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ? Empty Re: When Do You Think You'll Start To Care ?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum