Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Water be Privatized or be Considered a Public Good

Go down

Should Water be Privatized or be Considered a Public Good Empty Should Water be Privatized or be Considered a Public Good

Post  ShEmA rAnGiRa Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:12 am

“Today’s water crisis is not an issue of scarcity, but of access. More people in the world own cell phones than have access to a toilet. And as cities and slums grow at increasing rates the situation worsens. Every day, lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills thousands, leaving others with reduced quality of life”

I believe that water should be considered a public good for these reasons: First of all, 884 million people lack access to clean water supplies (1 in 8 people). 3.575 million People die each year from water related diseases.

Secondly, the water crisis has claimed more lives through disease than any war claims through guns. Thirdly, poor people in the slums pay approximately 5-10 times more per litre than the wealthy living in the same city.

Finally, a bathtub can hold 151 litres of water. Someone in a slum may only get 30L for their daily needs. In conclusion, every thing I have stated is a fact. These facts only strengthen my resolve to believe, to know, that water should be considered a public good, the Water Crisis isn’t based on the lack of water , but of the lack of access a lot of people in the world don’t have. I don’t even believe there is a choice, the answer should be obvious. For the sake of humanity and wild life , water should be a public good
ShEmA rAnGiRa
ShEmA rAnGiRa

Back to top Go down