Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What goes around... Stays there?

4 posters

Go down

What goes around... Stays there? Empty What goes around... Stays there?

Post  MoyraM Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I think not.

We may believe that the struggles with water and the lack of it we hear about in third world countries is far enough away to have no affect on us. The truth is we are more impacted than you would think.

What happens when the companies taking the earth's water stop selling it where they know people are desperate to buy it and move over here? We are lucky enough to live in a province where the water is free, but what about in Ontario? And Saskatchewan? And Alberta?

How about the oil companies? When they have to start paying more for the water they use to make oil, guess what? Oil prices go up. Oil is not free in Quebec.

So when the price of gas is up to two bucks a liter and your parents can't afford the internet and the satellite TV anymore you won't be very happy. That's not the worst; when its up to three, four and five dollars a liter (something that will never happen, right? Think again) and the roof over you head ceases to exist, you'll be willing to do anything to go back in time and change the way you live today.

MoyraM

Back to top Go down

What goes around... Stays there? Empty I disagree

Post  jason declare Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:27 pm

By the time the gas prices go up to three or five dollars a liter there will be many things that will be improved. For example if the gas price is five dollars you wouldn’t be able to live because you wouldn’t be able to provide for your family. So what they would do would be to increase the minimum wage so we could keep up with the cost of living. Also the government would have to do something about it because it will cause a pandemic and everyone couldn’t live. The governments can find other means of transportation that doesn’t cost a lot for example; use trains and less costly transportation. There can be car manufactures that can help by building cars that are more fuel efficient and look into cars that don’t need gas to operate they can look to the future so that we can get rid of gas. Just like the Hybrid cars and electrical cars.

jason declare

Back to top Go down

What goes around... Stays there? Empty Re: What goes around... Stays there?

Post  Sydney Tessler Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 am

Yes I agree.
Most people REALLY take water for granted.
Young people today believe that the water crisis will NEVER affect them, but in reality, it just might. Leaving the tap running when we brush our teeth or get a glass of water may seem like nothing, but when we think about it, if every Canadian did this everday, think of how much water is being wasted that could be put to good use!!!
Poor countries WISH they had the freedom of wasting water like that but they don't. Every single drop is precious and if Canada set the prober example by economising and promoting awareness to the water crisis cause, more people from all over the world would benifit.
When i get my cell phone taken away, i think it's the worse thing possible, but when I REALLY think about it, I would rather have clean water than my cell phone anyday.
Sydney Tessler
Sydney Tessler

Back to top Go down

What goes around... Stays there? Empty Maybe it’s the lack of awareness?

Post  hodan ahmed Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I agree with Sydney, people do take advantage of water. We see water everywhere; we have water at school, public fountains, not to mention we have free water in Quebec. Kids grow up thinking that it’s a given that water is just there and always will be but in all honesty, most likely it won’t. There are places around the world that have no clean water to drink or to use, kids grow up with this realization that everything is given to them even water and that they don’t have to be careful and be responsible with it. People die everyday because of the lack of water.

Maybe the problem is that some children and teens don’t know about the wars that happen for the need of water. I obviously know about the topic because that’s what we’re learning about but this isn’t the first I have heard about the important issue. My mom always told us to be careful with the amount of water we used, although it is free she knows that there’re other’s around the world without it. Water isn’t just a thirst quencher, it’s a life saving liquid that we have to try and preserve. Maybe the problem is lack of advertisement? We have to make sure that everyone knows the importance of water and that we have to preserve it.

hodan ahmed

Back to top Go down

What goes around... Stays there? Empty Re: What goes around... Stays there?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum