Water - Is there a crisis?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.”

3 posters

Go down

“There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.” Empty “There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.”

Post  Vanessa Coelho Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 pm

[left] Water is the most important resource we have, without it we would have nothing.
Yet it is the thing we probably take for granted the most. Water is by far the most important nutrient for the human body (minus oxygen of course). Think about how many times you use water in a day, how much do you use? Is it more than you need? Many people do not have the same luxuries as us, they do not even have clean water to drink let alone even think of being waste full, but that's the problem isn't it. We DON'T think, taking unnecessary 45 minute showers, leaving the water running while we wash our face, all the little things really begin to add up. We use much more than we need yet we want to the people who have nothing to pay for water? That seems quite unfair in my opinion..
If the big companies such as Nestle and Coca Cola were using the vast sums of profit they're making through selling the water they take from rural countries to create clean water wells, making clean water more accessible to these people. Maybe privatization wouldn't be such a big deal. But in the world we are living in everybody seems to have an "every man for themselves" way of thinking. It disgusts me the lack of compassion we have for one another, what kind of world are we living in? When will this self-interested way of thinking end, because in reality we are all selfish, whether we admit it or not.

Vanessa Coelho

Back to top Go down

“There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.” Empty Re: “There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.”

Post  Taylor Cameron Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

I agree with Vanessa, although many people use way to much water. not everyone with that luxury does so, there are many people that "Use only what they need" and I think that we forget that these people make a difference. Although the vast majority of people use to much I think that if they were to be better educated on the effects of their 45 min. shower they would try and make an effort. Although Coca Cola and Nestle are a large part of water consumption in Canada and other countries, we seem to jump over the fact that oil companies in Canada are not paying for water.

I Also agree with Vanessa's statement " we are all selfish, whether we admit or not" I think that this is true but if we are not a little bit self indulgent at times we lose site of the true us. If we are worried about pleasing others all the time we may not show our true personality and thus our image that is presented to other people is a skewed image.

Taylor Cameron

Back to top Go down

“There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.” Empty Raised Selfish.

Post  Jordyn Lamba Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:53 pm

I completely agree with Vanessa when she says that we are selfish, but is there really anything we can do about it? We were raised to be selfish, so was the generation before us, and the generation before them. Growing up we were never educated on the effects of the amount of water we use , and never were we told that in other parts of the world there is severe poverty. They are starting to educate us about these problems now, and I think that is useless because not a lot of people are going to change habits they have had all their lives if they feel that It doesn’t affect them, sure there are some people who want to make a change and help those in need and don’t want to be selfish, but there is only a small amount of people like that in this world. So it’s no wonder people want to privatize water because all they have ever known was to what’s in their best interest and selling a natural resource for money falls under that category.

Jordyn Lamba

Back to top Go down

“There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.” Empty Re: “There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.”

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum